Student Support and Summer Internship Opportunities
DoD I-DREAM4D Summer Internship
The DoD I-DREAM4D Consortium provide internships that are designed to provide intensive, full-time summer research experiences for students affiliated with the consortium institutions.
The I-DREAM4D summer internship is a two-month program offered to students at UTRGV and our collaborating institutions (UT Austin, UT San Antonio, Virginia Tech, Virginia State, and UH Clear Lake). The students will engage in continuous, substantive research over the course of two month period at world-leading defense manufacturers including Honeywell, Raytheon, Ingalls Shipbuilding, Northrup Grumman , Boeing, Standard Aero, ULA, NSIN, and defense research labs including Army Research Lab(ARL), Oakridge National Lab(ORNL), and Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing(CCAM), Nanomanufacturing Systems Center(NASCENT)."
Student selected for the internships will be fully engaged in the following activities:
- Working on fascinating defense innovation projects,
- Interaction with engineers and scientists at Defense contractors and Defense laboratories,
- Interaction with faculty, professionals, and other academics during the regular semesters before and after the student intern,
- Work on leading edge research projects with faculty members,
- Technical writing,
- Social activities,
- Participation and presentation at I-DREAM4D Annual Defense Conference and Expo.
Summer Scholars receive a total of $4,000 stipend plus full coverage of food, room, and travel cost.
The dates for the 2021 I-DREAM4D summer internship are: May 31 – June 30, 2021. The application will be accessible on Feb 15, 2021 and all materials are due on, or before April 15, 2021. To be considered for the 2021 I-DREAM4D summer internship, a completed application and supporting documents must be submitted to the application portal at www.idream4d.org/interns. Early applicants will receive priority consideration.
To be considered for the STEM Summer Scholars Institute, please submit:
- A completed I-DREAM4D application.
- The application form will require each applicant to identify one faculty mentor associated with the Consortium, for whom they would like to work during the summer. The list of faculty mentors available for the institute can be found by clicking this link www.idream4d.org/team. The application should also include a brief summary of interested defense project, and the rationale for why that faculty member should consider you as a mentee.
- An unofficial transcript from the college you are currently attending (an official transcript will be required once a participation offer has been accepted).
- Personal statement (2 pages maximum) which includes the following:
- Why do I want to participate in the IDREAM4D summer internship program; that is, what do I hope to gain from this summer research experience?
- What type of project do I prefer to work on during the summer intern?
- What are my short- and long-term career goals?
- What are my academic (master's, doctorate, or another graduate or professional degree) goals?
- List personal qualities, research experiences related to the Consortium mission (which can be found here), and/or technical skills that may enhance your research experience.
- Two letters of recommendation (i.e., faculty member who can evaluate your potential for graduate school, taking into consideration your accomplishments, intellectual prowess, independent work habits, capacity for critical and analytical thinking, and ability to organize and express ideas clearly). These letters should be uploaded to the application portal (preferably as a PDF file) by the due date.